Sydde
Apr 5, 07:36 PM
I agree with the notion that people should try to take steps to avoid risk, and that people can greatly reduce personal risk by making safer choices.
But this nugget of wisdom does not really touch on the substance of the issue arising in the OP, to wit - how much responsiblity does a rape victim carry? Or, to turn the question around, how much of the rape is not the rapist's fault?
What kind of twisted logic hears of a rape decides that looking "like a prostitute" is the salient feature of the case? What about the crazed deviant who committed the crime in the first place? Indeed, I think Gelfin's analogy is apt - if a smartly-dressed man is mugged, should we simply shrug our shoulders and say "well, he looked like he had a lot of money so he was asking for it. He should have been wearing something less ostentatious."
It's also, by the way, fallacious to assume that only young, attractive and/or scantily-clad women are raped. Such suppositions are the product of the same twisted male chauvinist perspective that suggests that looking "like a prostitute" means that women are "asking for it".
As I have suggested, we cannot really know the answers to these questions without first interviewing (or obtaining transcripts of interviews of) rapists. Most of us on this forum are not rapists (I hope), so making broad inferences on what goes through such a monster's mind is rather pointless. If we can obtain a body of information that clearly demonstrates that rapists are commonly motivated by the victims' appearance/attire, then we can lend credence to the statement quoted in the OP. Prior to obtaining such evidence, to suggest that dress codes will improve school childrens' safety is at best unsupportable and at worst ridiculous. Odd that these "libertarian" types are back at attempting to steal away our freedoms.
But this nugget of wisdom does not really touch on the substance of the issue arising in the OP, to wit - how much responsiblity does a rape victim carry? Or, to turn the question around, how much of the rape is not the rapist's fault?
What kind of twisted logic hears of a rape decides that looking "like a prostitute" is the salient feature of the case? What about the crazed deviant who committed the crime in the first place? Indeed, I think Gelfin's analogy is apt - if a smartly-dressed man is mugged, should we simply shrug our shoulders and say "well, he looked like he had a lot of money so he was asking for it. He should have been wearing something less ostentatious."
It's also, by the way, fallacious to assume that only young, attractive and/or scantily-clad women are raped. Such suppositions are the product of the same twisted male chauvinist perspective that suggests that looking "like a prostitute" means that women are "asking for it".
As I have suggested, we cannot really know the answers to these questions without first interviewing (or obtaining transcripts of interviews of) rapists. Most of us on this forum are not rapists (I hope), so making broad inferences on what goes through such a monster's mind is rather pointless. If we can obtain a body of information that clearly demonstrates that rapists are commonly motivated by the victims' appearance/attire, then we can lend credence to the statement quoted in the OP. Prior to obtaining such evidence, to suggest that dress codes will improve school childrens' safety is at best unsupportable and at worst ridiculous. Odd that these "libertarian" types are back at attempting to steal away our freedoms.
t56camaro
Oct 9, 11:57 PM
Has anyone used Echofon Pro and Tweetie? I'm curious if its worth to buy and try out...
I was using Echofon Pro, but after trying Tweetie 2 I've decided to switch. I can't say that Tweetie 2 is everything Echofon is and more, but it is definitely a net gain, in my opinion.
I was using Echofon Pro, but after trying Tweetie 2 I've decided to switch. I can't say that Tweetie 2 is everything Echofon is and more, but it is definitely a net gain, in my opinion.

FHL78
Jul 10, 10:58 AM
I plan on being there in VB, do you think we need to get there that early? I know this is BIG but will it be here in Vero?
Squonk
Oct 31, 01:40 PM
And I guess increased storage could be used as a USB key. I'd like to see them get rid of the dock and go back to the Shuffle plugging right into your USB port. (I think this used to be the case? Never owned a Shuffle.) So useful for file storage. In that case, basically any size Shuffle could be useful.
maybe a 3rd party company will design a cable/adaptor/thing that you can conveniently carry with the shuffle to use as a flash drive without the need of the dock
out of the box the 2gen shuffle capabilities as a flash drive are almost useless IMO
The 2gen form factor does not lend itself to a direction connection via USB due to the shape of it. The 1gen shuffle had problems with this too which prompted the 1gen dock. I recall that the 1gen could not fit into the USB ports on the eMac.
And for that matter, it looks to me that the 2gen shuffle is so thin that it could not accommodate the USB connector anyway.
Yes, a non-dock cable for the 2gen shuffle to USB would be the ticket. Heck, this is what Apple should have included with it instead of the itty-bitty docklet.
I agree - I'd want the shuffle for it's thumb drive ability in addition to music player. And for that reason, a 2GB size would be very nice indeed!
maybe a 3rd party company will design a cable/adaptor/thing that you can conveniently carry with the shuffle to use as a flash drive without the need of the dock
out of the box the 2gen shuffle capabilities as a flash drive are almost useless IMO
The 2gen form factor does not lend itself to a direction connection via USB due to the shape of it. The 1gen shuffle had problems with this too which prompted the 1gen dock. I recall that the 1gen could not fit into the USB ports on the eMac.
And for that matter, it looks to me that the 2gen shuffle is so thin that it could not accommodate the USB connector anyway.
Yes, a non-dock cable for the 2gen shuffle to USB would be the ticket. Heck, this is what Apple should have included with it instead of the itty-bitty docklet.
I agree - I'd want the shuffle for it's thumb drive ability in addition to music player. And for that reason, a 2GB size would be very nice indeed!
more...
Jeremy1026
Apr 4, 11:54 AM
I love all the 'worst carrier ever' comments. Do none of you realize VZW is already charging that much?
Kahnyl
Oct 9, 04:43 PM
I though this was an upgrade from Tweetie 1 and now i have to pay again for the same app :mad:
There's a whole other thread for whining about that.
There's a whole other thread for whining about that.
more...
nvp
Jul 8, 05:19 PM
I was planning on going there early morning or the apple store. I'm not sure where I'll have a better shot getting a phone. Will the ATT store have enough iphones available?
Hollowman7717
Mar 26, 08:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280645752954&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D280645752954%26_fvi%3D 1&_rdc=1
Look at this eBay listing, read the description, this seller is selling a "picture" of an iPhone 4 for $340 can you believe this? Be aware buyers read the description before buying on eBay
Look at this eBay listing, read the description, this seller is selling a "picture" of an iPhone 4 for $340 can you believe this? Be aware buyers read the description before buying on eBay
more...
guitargoddsjm
Apr 27, 09:22 AM
I found a great price on a new/unopened 27" ACD on craigslist, and I'm checking to see if it's legit. As I've never owned an ACD, can anyone tell me if the serial number is on the box? I know Apple puts it on a sticker for all computers and, I think, iPhones.
scophone
Apr 5, 10:38 PM
you are big ye!!
more...
iindigo
Apr 27, 05:26 PM
Also for fun - try enabling password for the screensaver and 60 minute idle logout. Then put your laptop to sleep and come back 60 min later only to have hung login window that accepts no input - works that way every time for me.
Good thing the screensaver password dialog is the login window itself (even the same exact process) in Lion then, huh?
Good thing the screensaver password dialog is the login window itself (even the same exact process) in Lion then, huh?
AndrewR23
Mar 27, 08:54 PM
LOL. Yeah that proves it's him. I'm CIA, I know these things.
You don't believe me? He sent that to my eBay and now the auction is cancelled like he just said he was going to do. Sucks but I dont think that other guy is going to get his money back. Not like we are going to find out either.
You don't believe me? He sent that to my eBay and now the auction is cancelled like he just said he was going to do. Sucks but I dont think that other guy is going to get his money back. Not like we are going to find out either.
more...

The.316
Aug 2, 02:17 PM
Here is mine. Still going with the whole crazy Heat summer theme:
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/pb1300/Screenshot2010-08-02at101335PM.png
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/pb1300/Screenshot2010-08-02at101335PM.png
Hellhammer
May 7, 03:13 AM
2008 iMac uses DDR2 so unfortunately the RAM from your MBP is not compatible. E.g. this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231156) will work.
more...
patrickdunn
Jun 18, 10:32 PM
Anybody going to Apple or AT&T in the 29th street mall in Boulder? I am thinking about going to Starbucks or McDonalds next door to play with my new phone in the AM. I'll be at AT&T at 6:30.
Also, would anybody be willing to let me use their Mac/PC to activate my 3G if AT&T does not do it in-store for me?
Well see you out there!!
Also, would anybody be willing to let me use their Mac/PC to activate my 3G if AT&T does not do it in-store for me?
Well see you out there!!
zen.state
Mar 30, 06:09 AM
Thanks zen.state. I'll look it up once the blasted screen turns up!
This thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1127873 is asking about drive sizes for PPC machines but the thread on the apple site pointed to doesn't seem to answer the question definitively - at least to me but I'm kinda new.
what is the max drive size for a PPC with with a ATA controller in one of the PCI slots?
I have heard of the 2TB limit per drive before. I cannot confirm this 100% though as all my drives are less than 2TB. I have 3.5 TB total but it consists of 3x 1TB and 1x 500GB.
I think 2TB drives are a great option for you. They can be had for as little as 75-80 each these days and 4 of them would give you 8TB in your file server. Not too shabby.
I myself plan to buy a couple 2TB drives soon as I am running out of space even with 3.5 TB.
This thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1127873 is asking about drive sizes for PPC machines but the thread on the apple site pointed to doesn't seem to answer the question definitively - at least to me but I'm kinda new.
what is the max drive size for a PPC with with a ATA controller in one of the PCI slots?
I have heard of the 2TB limit per drive before. I cannot confirm this 100% though as all my drives are less than 2TB. I have 3.5 TB total but it consists of 3x 1TB and 1x 500GB.
I think 2TB drives are a great option for you. They can be had for as little as 75-80 each these days and 4 of them would give you 8TB in your file server. Not too shabby.
I myself plan to buy a couple 2TB drives soon as I am running out of space even with 3.5 TB.
more...
Peterkro
May 4, 06:36 AM
Same as I said before,it's wrong and counterproductive .
Hilmi Hamidi
Feb 1, 09:23 AM
Monthly Desktops Guidelines:
� For large images use [timg] rather than
� Use attachments when necessary so images don't disappear when they are removed from their source
� When possible, include links to the full-sized original so others can download them. If you don't want to share, state that in your posts so others don't continue to ask for links.
� When quoting a post with images, remove the images to reduce clutter
� Please report any posts you feel need attention by clicking on this icon: .
� If you would like an original wallpaper I would recommend using TinEye
Previous Iterations: January 2011 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1072678) | December 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1057691) | November 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1041375) | October 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023594)
[IMG]http://img28.imagevenue.com/loc23/th_89814_Untitled_122_23lo.jpg (http://img28.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=89814_Untitled_122_23lo.jpg)
Wallpaper (http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=75133_121185943_a9ea391672_o_122_210lo.jpg)
� For large images use [timg] rather than
� Use attachments when necessary so images don't disappear when they are removed from their source
� When possible, include links to the full-sized original so others can download them. If you don't want to share, state that in your posts so others don't continue to ask for links.
� When quoting a post with images, remove the images to reduce clutter
� Please report any posts you feel need attention by clicking on this icon: .
� If you would like an original wallpaper I would recommend using TinEye
Previous Iterations: January 2011 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1072678) | December 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1057691) | November 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1041375) | October 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023594)
[IMG]http://img28.imagevenue.com/loc23/th_89814_Untitled_122_23lo.jpg (http://img28.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=89814_Untitled_122_23lo.jpg)
Wallpaper (http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=75133_121185943_a9ea391672_o_122_210lo.jpg)
BornToMac
Oct 13, 09:40 PM
switched it up a bit... my design.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5072766956_49f2949d2c_z.jpg
I really like your style and the combination of textures in this. Do you mind sharing your design so I can use it as a desk top?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5072766956_49f2949d2c_z.jpg
I really like your style and the combination of textures in this. Do you mind sharing your design so I can use it as a desk top?
datamonger128
Dec 25, 10:15 AM
I got a Power Mac G5 as an early gift from my mom a week and a half ago. Been loving it since. I also got a thing of Danish butter cookies and an Old Wisconsin meat sampler.
Dear old Mommy got a pack of smokes, a thing of Maxwell House coffee, and a box of Whitman's chocolates. The smokes and coffee she actually asked for. Chocolates were my idea.
Dear old Mommy got a pack of smokes, a thing of Maxwell House coffee, and a box of Whitman's chocolates. The smokes and coffee she actually asked for. Chocolates were my idea.
The.316
Sep 1, 06:49 AM
That guy better look out... It looks like that cloud is getting ready to rain on his head. ;)
At least its not a block cloud lol.
At least its not a block cloud lol.
chris975d
Feb 11, 09:51 AM
This will not make you forfeit any rollover minutes. This is used like a data plan... You should have no change to your bill as far as price unless you drop your plan. It requires you to have unlimited text on individual or family rate plans. Same price you paid before as well as unlimited calling/messaging to any mobile...
Last time I did any rate plan change, the info you gave is correct. You only lose your accumulated rollover minutes if you change your voice plan down in monthly minutes (i.e., going from a Nation 700 plan down to a 450 minute plan). They have it this way so that people can't pay for a couple of months of a high minute plan and not use the minutes, roll them over (bank them), then downgrade to a much lower minute plan for the remainder of the year and live off of the rollover minutes they banked when on the higher limit plan. My understanding is that when you change voice plans, but the monthly minute allowances are the same (ex. a 450 plan to this new 450 plan, or 700 to 700), you shouldn't lose accumulated rollover minutes.
Last time I did any rate plan change, the info you gave is correct. You only lose your accumulated rollover minutes if you change your voice plan down in monthly minutes (i.e., going from a Nation 700 plan down to a 450 minute plan). They have it this way so that people can't pay for a couple of months of a high minute plan and not use the minutes, roll them over (bank them), then downgrade to a much lower minute plan for the remainder of the year and live off of the rollover minutes they banked when on the higher limit plan. My understanding is that when you change voice plans, but the monthly minute allowances are the same (ex. a 450 plan to this new 450 plan, or 700 to 700), you shouldn't lose accumulated rollover minutes.
rickvanr
Dec 16, 02:07 PM
Hello
Anyone have one of these for sale?
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/919/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/m9267ga_125.gif
Apple DVI to Video Adapter
Use the DVI to Video Adapter to connect the DVI port on Power Mac G5 or Mac mini to any S-video or Composite enabled device.
Thanks
Anyone have one of these for sale?
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/919/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/m9267ga_125.gif
Apple DVI to Video Adapter
Use the DVI to Video Adapter to connect the DVI port on Power Mac G5 or Mac mini to any S-video or Composite enabled device.
Thanks
bikertwin
May 2, 10:54 PM
While I'd like to applaud MacRumors for instituting a blood drive, it seems particularly cruel in that there is a larger percentage of gay men among Apple fans than in the general population.
And we can't donate.
For political reasons, not scientific ones.
Even the American Red Cross wants our blood:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/14/ban-on-gay-men-donating-blood-upheld/
Talk about risk factors--what about closeted gay men who screw random strangers, having unprotected sex, and then go home to their cozy wife & kids? If their wife/workplace encourages them to donate blood, are they going to reveal their sexuality and not donate? Sure, they can go through the act and check the box so their blood gets thrown away... but if they're ****ing guys behind their wives' backs, why would they show any honesty or compassion for their fellow humans.
You know this must be happening every day. And yet where are the news stories of people being infected with HIV. There are none. Because we have tests now--we've had them for a while--to detect HIV. So the blood isn't used.
So why can't out gay men donate?
No scientific reason. It's political.
The Human Rights Campaign, the American Red Cross, America's Blood Centers and AABB, formerly known as the American Association of Blood Banks, support easing the lifetime ban to allow gay blood donors. In a joint statement, the blood organizations said that safety was the first priority and that potential donors should be screened more fairly, regardless of sexual orientation.
About three months ago, Sen. John Kerry and 17 other senators signed a letter to the FDA blasting its "outdated" policy.
Gay men, including those who are in monogamous relationships, are forbidden from contributing blood for the rest of their lives, while "a heterosexual who has had sex with a prostitute need only wait a year [before giving blood]. That does not strike me as a sound scientific conclusion," Kerry wrote in a March 9 letter.
And we can't donate.
For political reasons, not scientific ones.
Even the American Red Cross wants our blood:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/14/ban-on-gay-men-donating-blood-upheld/
Talk about risk factors--what about closeted gay men who screw random strangers, having unprotected sex, and then go home to their cozy wife & kids? If their wife/workplace encourages them to donate blood, are they going to reveal their sexuality and not donate? Sure, they can go through the act and check the box so their blood gets thrown away... but if they're ****ing guys behind their wives' backs, why would they show any honesty or compassion for their fellow humans.
You know this must be happening every day. And yet where are the news stories of people being infected with HIV. There are none. Because we have tests now--we've had them for a while--to detect HIV. So the blood isn't used.
So why can't out gay men donate?
No scientific reason. It's political.
The Human Rights Campaign, the American Red Cross, America's Blood Centers and AABB, formerly known as the American Association of Blood Banks, support easing the lifetime ban to allow gay blood donors. In a joint statement, the blood organizations said that safety was the first priority and that potential donors should be screened more fairly, regardless of sexual orientation.
About three months ago, Sen. John Kerry and 17 other senators signed a letter to the FDA blasting its "outdated" policy.
Gay men, including those who are in monogamous relationships, are forbidden from contributing blood for the rest of their lives, while "a heterosexual who has had sex with a prostitute need only wait a year [before giving blood]. That does not strike me as a sound scientific conclusion," Kerry wrote in a March 9 letter.
No comments:
Post a Comment